Hughes Pumps manufacturers pumps rated to 2800bar & 375kW (40,000psi and 500hp), used for water jetting, industrial cleaning, cutting and pumping applications in oil & gas, petrochemical, ship repair, construction, marine and other industries. We are the only manufacturer in the UK of this specialist type of pump.
This role combines factory based production work (est. 85%) and field service work (est.15%) (UK and overseas).
- Assembling/testing pumps from start to finish, taking responsibility for the complete build. Each taking between 8 to 20 hours
- Testing pumps on dedicated test beds driven by variable speed electric motors. Involves fitting comprehensive monitoring equipment to allow close monitoring of the pump during its 3-hour test
- Assembling specialist high pressure control valves & accessories & hydrostatically testing them
- Assembling complete pump packages comprising pumps, diesel engines or electric motors, bespoke control panels/systems, drive couplings, compressed air & hydraulic systems, trailer undergear & acoustic enclosures
- Testing complete pump packages, troubleshooting any start-up issues & monitoring the full test
- Stripping, inspecting & repairing of pumps returned to the factory for overhaul/repair
- Servicing, repairing and troubleshooting pumps/pumpsets and systems in the field
- Willingness to travel in the UK and overseas, generally on a planned routine basis but occasionally at short notice to deal with breakdowns and to stay on site until the job is done
This person requires the following experience/attributes:
- Preferably an apprenticeship or HNC in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering but candidates with proven experience in any field of mechanical engineering will be considered e.g. car mechanic etc.
- Minimum 5/10 years engineering/mechanical experience
- Experience in assembling close tolerance, high value pumps, compressors, engines or other rotating equipment
- Would benefit from having machine shop experience to allow measuring equipment to be used & understanding limits/fits
- Attention to detail is essential
- Ability to identify and resolve issues during assembly/test
- Experience in 3 phase electrics/control panels would be useful but not essential
- Ability to plan service work and use own initiative
- This person needs to be physically fit, although comprehensive lifting equipment is available, there is a high degree of physical work
- Although the pump is always the key component in the system, it is often the diesel engine, electrical control panel or pneumatic/hydraulic controls & circuits that are at fault. It is therefore essential this person has a good, all-round knowledge & experience in a variety of engineering disciplines.
- External service work
- Customer focussed with the desire to provide a first class, professional service to customers when they need the company’s support the most, to the extent that a potentially negative breakdown can be turned into a positive experience in the eyes of the customer.
- Hours of work are 8.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Thursday, 8.00am to 3.30pm on a Friday (39 hours) with a 30-minute break
- Overtime is available on occasions but is not guaranteed. Staff are expected to work additional hours when required to meet critical deadlines.
- Private health care (after qualifying period)
- 25 days holiday
- Workplace pension
- 3-month trial period